Sunday, October 10, 2010

No date

I didn't get a date out of it after all. And it was my birthday too! Unless you consider a scraggly beard, wearing 20 year old clothes a date. But I don't.

On my birthday (October 9th) I went to the temple in the morning with my friend Josh from the track team. Afterwards we headed to Gandolfo's to get some breakfast sandwiches. On the way to Gandolfo's I noticed a homeless man on a bench by himself. He was across the street.

When we got into Gandolofo's I ordered an extra sandwich so I could offer it to the homeless guy when we left. I enjoyed typical guy talk with Josh. That means we talked about the women in our lives, which for both of us means a whole bunch. We tend to date around a lot never really settling down. We tell ourselves eventually when we find the right one we will. I am just waiting for her to come.

Anyways, as we were walking out I walked up to Dennis (the homeless guy) and asked if he was Hungry. He responded, "Not yet but I will be" and took the sandwich. He then talked our ears off for twenty minutes. Josh and I got about two words off between the two of us. I couldn't bear it anymore since it was a one way conversation so I told Dennis we had to go and took off.

It was a great way to start off my birthday. I don't really like all the attention you get on your birthday. I am glad I was able to forget myself in the morning by going to the temple and by buying Dennis lunch.

Now you may think I am quite noble and great because of this little deed. That is too nice of you. Let me fill you in. It was an assignment in my business writing class. We were asked to "buy a stranger a coke." Which meant we could by a stranger anything we wanted. At first I wanted to try and find the most attractive girl to buy something for (hoping to romantically fall in love afterwards . . . but really). I went into the cougar eat a few more times than usual on this hunt but found nothing to my liking.

I am grateful to have been able to provide breakfast for Dennis. I want to make this a weekly tradition. I think that will help me focus less on myself and more on others. One step at a time. This assignment has helped me realize what an amazing person the prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is. Thomas S. Monson is a man of service and love. He has learned throughout his life to forget himself and get to work! He truly is a prophet of God chosen to help us learn how to become more like God. President Monson's example of service is an inspiring push in the right direction!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love going to the temple - it is a great place to feel the spirit and forget about the world. Good luck with finding that cute girl - I know she will come for you. :)

    ReplyDelete