Monday, October 4, 2010

General Conference Weekend

It is not a surprise the weekend was the highlight of my week. It was General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For those who may read this that may be of a different faith, General Conference happens twice a year (every six months) and we hear from the Prophet, members of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, and other leaders of the church. They speak about things that will help us be happy in this life and the life to come.

I had the privilege of attending the Saturday Morning session at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City. It was a sweet experience to go there for the first time in person rather than simply watching the speakers on TV. It was a lot easier to focus being at the heart of the event. President Utchdorf, who is from Germany, gave a wonderful talk on slowing down in our life. Sometimes we just need to take the time to sit back and smell the roses. This talk really hit me hard because the week I had just had was non-stop. It didn't seem like I had time to breathe because I was trying to prepare for three different tests. I rushed my Econ test a little too much because I wanted to maximize my studying time. I ended up running out of time in the testing center because I waited too long to take it. If I would have taken time to sit back and slow down, I probably would have done a lot better on the test.

It is amazing how relevant all of the talks were to my life at this point. I know these men are chosen and called by God to help us know more clearly how we are to live our lives and prepare for the eternities. Another talk that hit me was by Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles. He talked about some of the things he was grateful for. That caused me to reflect and think of things I am grateful for in my life. Among a few I am grateful for my health, my family and their support, my friends, my coach and his patience and time, the beautiful environment I am surrounded by and the area in which I live (even if it is not southern california at the moment) the scriptures and good books that cause me to think and learn. I am extremely grateful for the gift to ponder and think and receive revelation. I am grateful to have a Prophet on the earth today that helps me live a better life and be a better person. I am eternally grateful for my savior and lord Jesus Christ. I can't adequately express the magnitude of my gratitude for what he has done for me personally and the rest of mankind. What a selfless being full of love. I am grateful for God and his goodness and direction in my life (even when I am getting chastized for being dumb). Of this I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment