My Hunger started kicking in. Everyone had already eaten. I decided to go to Zupas by myself and get a sandwich and some soup. I am completely comfortable eating by myself. I actually enjoy it because it gives me time to relax and think.
The girls at the table next to me seemed to feel more awkward for me eating by myself than I did. I could see it in their eyes as they looked at me and then looked around to see if anyone else was coming. After they realized I really was eating by myself they looked over, smiled, and asked if I wanted to join them. I hope they don't think I was rude but I declined their offer. I was comfortable where I was and didn't really feel like moving over a table.
Then I noticed a bunch of people from my ward enter into Zupas so I ended up moving over to the table they sat at. They also thought it was weird I was eating by myself. Is it a crime to eat alone? Is it socially just not cool? I just laughed and thought it was funny.
This reminds me of another experience like this. I went to Cafe Rio one night around 9 p.m. Most of my friends had already eaten so I went by myself. After I finished dinner I went next door to spoon it up and got some yogurt. I knew the girl working at the cash register. This was her response when she noticed I was alone, "You are really getting yogurt all by yourself?" I just laughed and responded, "Ya this is how I do it." I sensed she felt bad for me that I didn't have anyone to get yogurt with.
Why is it so weird to go get food or yogurt by yourself? Are people really that insecure to always need someone with them when they go out into public? I guess people these days just don't enjoy their own company. Now by no means am I anti-social. I fully enjoy good company to dinner or lunch or yogurt. But sometimes it just doesn't work out and doing it alone works just fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment